Your Holiday Insurance, Our Expertise.


Working Abroad Travel Insurance

Covered on Multiple Activity Grades
  1. help
  2. help
  3. to
  4. help
  5. For UK and ROI residents only
  6. If you are aged 75 or over please visit our partner Vital Health

From only £12.06 per Week

Travel insurance for working abroad

If you are seeking a new adventure working or volunteering abroad, bar tending on your gap year, picking fruit and veg, whatever it may be, you can be covered for working abroad on our Single, Annual or Backpacker quotes.

  • Single Trip: Ideal for one-off holidays for up to 45 days long
  • Annual Multi Trip: Cover for an unlimited number of trips for up to 12 months
  • Backpacker Trip: Continuous travel for up to 2 years long and covering 1 trip back home

Types of Work Covered

There are various types of work that we cover in Grade 1 and Grade 2 Activity Cover. Please note that Grade 1 cover is free while Grade 2 activities require extra cover.

Sports Grade Activity
Sports Grade 1 Fruit and Vegetable Picking
Bar Tending and Restaurant Work
Counselling (Students and Exchange Students Included)
Student Exchange (academic studies only)
Voluntary Work (teaching in a school or orphanage, no manual labour)
Sports Grade 2 Manual Labour (ground work - no machinery involved)

Experts' Top Tip - Superior Cover is the most popular and best selling cover level. It provides a high level of protection, offering up to £10 million medical cover.

Customisable Cover

You have a choice of tailoring your insurance cover to suit your holiday needs. Choose from up to 4 cover levels and 4 areas of cover. Additionally, you can add extra protection for pre-existing medical conditions, winter sports, cruises and more.

You are entitled to our 24 Hour Emergency Line when purchasing our insurance cover should you require assistance while on holiday.

You may be interested in this magazine article..

Vacation Work

Top 10 Holiday Jobs

There’s something fascinating about discovering a country from a worker's perspective. Take a look at the 10 best holiday jobs from around the world.

Read More

Add Extra Cover

Working abroad can be an exciting new experience, fruit and veg picking in Australia or teaching English abroad; perhaps even, you're already a seasoned professional. Either way, you will want to ensure that your travel insurance will sufficiently cover you for any eventuality.

Do you need to declare a medical condition?

If you have a pre-existing medical condition it’s vital that you declare it otherwise you could invalidate your entire policy. We offer comprehensive Medical travel insurance, so if you have do have a medical condition, you can be sure it's covered. You may even be surprised that many common medical conditions such as allergies can be added without any additional cost. What’s more, you even have the option to declare a condition but then exclude it from your policy. What this means is that you’ve told your insurer about your condition but decided not to cover it, so you will be covered medically for anything unrelated to that condition.

Do you need extra sports or specialist cover?

A good policy will include insure you for many sports, adventures and activities - we cover over 100+ as standard. However the more adventurous or dangerous the activity, like sports insurance. You can customise your policy further with a number of other specialist add-ons.

Travel Insurance Reviews

Customers have scored Essential Travel on average 87% 100 based on 1066 reviews.

Find the right travel insurance for your needs with Essential Travel's Expert Tips: