Study Abroad Insurance

Your holiday insurance, our expertise.

  • -

Whether you'll be away for just a term, or studying abroad for the whole year, getting a reliable travel insurance policy should be as important as making sure your passport is in date. If you're a British student planning to study abroad, taking out our travel insurance is a wise move: we have you covered for medical emergencies, personal accidents, lost baggage, personal money as well as a host of other eventualities.

Depending on how long you'll be away for, choose between our Single, Annual Multi Trip and Backpacker options in the quote form above.

What Are You Covered For?

You are covered for anything from lost luggage to lawyer's fees during your time away from home, including:

Experts' Top Tip - If you're travelling with a group of students abroad, you can add up to 8 travellers to one policy. Contact Essential Travel's Customer Services to add more than 8 students for cover.

Adjust Your Cover to Suit You

You can choose from up to 3 cover levels and 4 areas of cover so that you only pay for the cover suited to your needs. You can also add extra protection for pre-existing medical conditions, sports, winter sports and more so that you can make the most out of your time studying abroad, safely.

Different sports and activities fall into four Sports Grades: Grade 1 covers you for lower risk sports at no extra cost. Grades 2 to 4 cover you higher risk sporting activities, this means that you'll need to add extra cover to your Single, Annual Multi-trip or Backpacker insurance policy.

Book your Travel Insurance in 5 easy steps

Medical Conditions

UK, Europe and Worldwide

Medical Emergencies

Baggage Cover

24/7 Emergency Helpline

Single, Annual and Backpacker

So, why choose us as your travel insurance provider for your study trip?

Apart from our extensive industry experience, providing travel insurance to overwhelmingly positive reviews, our policies come with a host of benefits that you'll struggle to find elsewhere.

For one, our policies come with baggage cover, meaning your laptop, phone and study materials are all insured as valuables in the case of loss and theft. Our personal liability cover also ensures you against any accidental damage to your accommodation.

What kind of policy should I get?

This largely depends on the length of your trip. If you're only going to be away for a couple of weeks, then it might be a good idea to take out a Single trip policy, which provides comprehensive cover for up to 87 continuous days.

If you know you'll be off studying for longer, perhaps a year or two, then we recommend taking out our Backpacker Travel Insurance, which provides continuous comprehensive cover for up to 2 years.

The beauty with Backpacker Travel Insurance is that, each policy comes with cover for one trip home of up to 14 days. If you get struck with a spell of home-sickness, or receive summons from the family, there's no need to worry about breaking your cover with a visit home.

Things to remember when studying abroad:

What Is a Pre-Existing Medical Condition?

What Is a Pre-Existing Medical Condition?

Do you have a pre-existing medical condition that you need to declare to your travel insurance provider? Get advice on pre-existing medical conditions.

When is The Best Time to Buy Travel Insurance?

When is The Best Time to Buy Travel Insurance?

Essential Travel recommends the best time to purchase your travel insurance to make sure your holiday is fully covered and you get the most from your policy.

How To Save on Your Holiday Abroad

How To Save on Your Holiday Abroad

Learn how to cut costs on your holiday insurance & receive exclusive travel insurance discounts. Cover for medical emergencies, cancellation and lost luggage.

The ultimate online travel resource for armchair travellers and avid globetrotters alike.

Visit our monthly magazine & weekly blog for expert advice money saving tips and our pick of the best destinations to keep you inspired and in the know.

Essential Travel is a trading name of Holiday Extras Cover Ltd. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and is registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF. Company number 05058680.

Holiday Extras Cover Ltd is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent. ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.