Sports Travel Insurance

From only £12.06 per week.

  • -
Last updated on 5th September 2019

Choose the right sports cover level

Holidays aren't always about relaxing - many people take a trip away with the intention of getting active, and that's why we cover over 100 sports as standard on our policies. However, for more adventurous activities it's important that you optimise your insurance, to ensure you account for all eventualities. We offer four different grades of sports cover in order to help you tailor your insurance according to risk factor.

Please note that if you plan to take part in any sports activities in a competitive or professional capacity, you will need to get in touch with our team at 0800 014 2709, as our standard policies may not be applicable.

What are Sports Grades?

For the purpose of our policies, sports and hazardous activities are assigned to a Sports Grade which corresponds to the level of risk involved. These need to be added onto the insurance you are purchasing - whether you're after a Single Trip, an Annual Multi Trip or even a Backpacker policy - in order that you can enjoy an activity-filled vacation knowing that you're fully covered. The more extreme your sport, the higher the Sports Grade you'll need for your travel insurance - for example, if you wanted to do bungee jumping you would opt for Sports Grade 3 as it would be considered a relatively high-risk activity, whilst cycling is covered at no extra cost.

It's really important that your insurance covers you for every sport you partake in so please be sure you choose the right policy - the more extreme the sport you undertake, the higher your premium is likely to be, but if you opt for the cheapest price you may find you're not covered for higher risk activities.

Use our quick summary below to compare each Sports Grade and what it can offer. It can be really beneficial to have an idea of the activities you're planning to participate in, as you'll be able to identify which Grade your planned activity falls under prior to your holiday.

If any of the activities you plan to undertake during your adventure fall under Sports Grade 2, 3 or 4, you to will have to add extra cover to your quote. Please note that we cannot offer Sports Grade cover higher than level 1 to our 'Standard Essential' policy. Adding the extra cover for your planned activities couldn't be simpler - on the last page before payment, you will be given a list of extras to add to your policy. Simply tick the box to indicate you wish to add 'hazardous activity' cover to your policy, enter the sports you are planning to participate in and we will work out your premium.

You can even see the different in price as you add each sport you wish to cover, meaning that if you pick a sport which pushes your cover higher than your budget will allow, you'll be able to reevaluate the activities you have planned to ensure your policy works out at a price which suits you.

  • Abseiling - Grade 3
  • Aerobics - Grade 1
  • American Football (amateur) - Grade 3
  • Archery - Grade 1
  • Archeological Digging - Grade 1
  • Assault Course - Grade 1
  • Badminton (amateur) - Grade 1
  • Banana Boating - Grade 1
  • Bar Restaurant Work - Grade 1
  • Baseball - Grade 1
  • Basketball - Grade 1
  • Beach games - Grade 1
  • Billiards / Snooker / Pool - Grade 1
  • Black Water Rafting as an organised activity (grades 1-3 only) - Grade 2
  • Black Water Rafting (Grades 4-6) - Grade 3
  • Blade Skating - Grade 1
  • Bowls - Grade 1
  • Boxing Training (co contact) - Grade 2
  • Bungee Jump (up to a maximum of 3 jumps per trip) - Grade 2
  • Camel Riding - Grade 1
  • Canoeing (grade 3) - Grade 1
  • Canyoning - Grade 4
  • Catamaran Sailing - Grade 1
  • Caving - Grade 4
  • Clay Pigeon Shooting - Grade 1
  • Climbing (on climbing wall only) - Grade 1
  • Cricket (amateur) - Grade 1
  • Croquet - Grade 1
  • Curling - Grade 1
  • Cycling (not racing) - Grade 1
  • Deep Sea Fishing - Grade 1
  • Dinghy Sailing - Grade 1
  • Dry Skiing - Grade 1
  • Dog Sledging - Grade 2
  • Elephant Riding - Grade 1
  • Falconry - Grade 1
  • Fell Walking/Running (under 2,500 metres altitude) - Grade 1
  • Fell Walking/Running (between 2,501 and 4,000 metres altitude) - Grade 2
  • Fencing - Grade 1
  • Fishing - Grade 1
  • Fives - Grade 1
  • Flow Riding - Grade 1
  • Flying on a public scheduled flight with a fully licensed Airline for the purposes of transporting passengers - Grade 1
  • Football (amateur, not main purpose of trip) - Grade 1
  • Fruit / Vegetable Picking (nonmechanical) - Grade 1
  • Gaelic Football - Grade 3
  • Glass Bottom Boats / Bubbles - Grade 1
  • Gliding - Grade 3
  • Go Karting - Grade 1
  • Golf (amateur) - Grade 1
  • Gorge Walking - Grade 4
  • Handball - Grade 1
  • Hang Gliding - Grade 4
  • Helicopter Tours (fare paying with a maximum duration of 2 hours) - Grade 1
  • High Diving (on an amateur basis and excludes cliff diving) - Grade 4
  • Hiking (Under 2,000 metres altitude) - Grade 1
  • Hiking (between 2,501 and 4,000 metres altitude) - Grade 2
  • Hill Walking (under 2,500 metres altitude) - Grade 1
  • Hill Walking (between 2,501 and 4,000 metres altitude) - Grade 2
  • Hockey (field hockey not ice hockey) - Grade 1
  • Horse Jumping (no Polo, Hunting) - Grade 4
  • Horse Riding (no Polo, Hunting, Jumping or Racing) - Grade 1
  • Hot Air Ballooning (organised pleasure rides only) - Grade 1
  • Hot Dogging (grades 1 - 3) - Grade 1
  • Hovercraft Driving / Passenger - Grade 1
  • Hurling (amateur) - Grade 2
  • Ice Skating (1 day max per trip) - Grade 1
  • Inner Tubing - Grade 1
  • Jet Boating (no racing) - Grade 1
  • Jet Skiing (no racing) - Grade 1
  • Jogging - Grade 1
  • Kayaking (up to Grade 3, Rivers, Sea) - Grade 1
  • Kite Surfing - Grade 1
  • Korfball - Grade 1
  • Manual Labour (ground level only, no machinery) - Grade 2
  • Marathon Running (amateur) - Grade 1
  • Martial Arts (training only) - Grade 2
  • Micro Lighting - Grade 4
  • Motorcycling & Mopeds up to 50cc (no racing) - Grade 1
  • Motorcycling (between 50cc and 125cc) - Grade 2
  • Mountain Biking (NOT BMX on or off road) and not downhill racing - Grade 2
  • Mountain Biking - downhill racing (NOT BMX on or off road) - Grade 4
  • Netball (amateur) - Grade 1
  • Octopush - Grade 1
  • Off-Piste without a guide - Grade 4
  • Orienteering - Grade 1
  • Outwardbound Pursuits - Grade 1
  • Paintballing - Grade 1
  • Parasailing - Grade 4
  • Parascending (over water) - Grade 1
  • Parascending (over land) - Grade 3
  • Pony Trekking - Grade 1
  • Power Boating (no racing / competition) - Grade 1
  • Quad Biking - Grade 1
  • Rambling / Trekking (between 2,501 metres and 4,000 metres) - Grade 2
  • Raquetball - Grade 1
  • Rambling (under 2,500 metres) - Grade 1
  • Refereeing - Grade 1
  • Ringos - Grade 1
  • River Canoeing - Grade 1
  • Rock Climbing (under 2,000 metres) - Grade 4
  • Rock Scrambling (under 4,000 metres) - Grade 4
  • Roller Blading (Line Skating / Skateboarding) - Grade 1
  • Rounders - Grade 1
  • Rowing - Grade 1
  • Rugby (amateur) - Grade 3
  • Running, Sprint / Long distance (amateur) - Grade 1
  • Safari (Ireland / UK organised) - Grade 1
  • Safari (non Ireland / UK organised) - Grade 2
  • Sail Boarding - Grade 1
  • Sailing (in territorial waters only) - Grade 1
  • Sandboarding - Grade 1
  • Sand Dune Surfing / Skiing - Grade 1
  • Sand Yachting - Grade 1
  • Scuba Diving (to a maximum of 20 metres) - Grade 1
  • Scuba Diving (to a maximum depth of 30 metres) - Grade 2
  • Scuba Diving (to a maximum of 50 metres) - Grade 3
  • Sea Canoeing - Grade 2
  • Shooting small bore / target - Grade 1
  • Sledging - Grade 1
  • Snorkelling - Grade 1
  • Soft Ball - Grade 1
  • Spear Fishing (without air tanks) - Grade 3
  • Speed Sailing - Grade 1
  • Squash - Grade 1
  • Students working as counsellors/exchange - Grade 1
  • Surfing - Grade 1
  • Swimming - Grade 1
  • Swimming With dolphins - Grade 1
  • Table Tennis - Grade 1
  • Tall Ship Crewing - Grade 1
  • Tandem Sky Dive (up to a maximum of 2 jumps per trip) - Grade 3
  • Tennis (amateur) - Grade 1
  • Tenpin Bowling - Grade 1
  • Trampolining - Grade 1
  • Track Events - Grade 1
  • Tree Canopy Walking - Grade 1
  • Trekking (up to 2,500 metres) - Grade 1
  • Trekking (between 2,501 and 4,000 metres altitude) - Grade 2
  • Trekking (between 4,001 metres and 6,000 metres) - Grade 4
  • Triathlon - Grade 2
  • Tug of War - Grade 1
  • Via Ferrata - Grade 4
  • Volleyball (amateur) - Grade 1
  • Wake Boarding - Grade 1
  • Walking (under 2,500 metres altitude) - Grade 1
  • Walking (between 2,501 and 4,000 metres altitude) - Grade 2
  • War Games (wearing eye protection) - Grade 1
  • Waterpolo - Grade 1
  • Water Skiing - Grade 1
  • Whale Watching - Grade 1
  • White Water Rafting as an organised activity (Grades 1 to 3 only) - Grade 1
  • Windsurfing (amateur) - Grade 1
  • Wind Tunnel Flying (pads and helmets) - Grade 1
  • Yachting (if qualified or as part of an organised activity) - Grade 1
  • Zorbing - Grade 1

Sports and Activities Insurance

Check out the links below to find out more about the cover we can provide for specific sporting activities:

Get a quote using the form above and once you have chosen your level of cover you will be given the option to add extra cover. Here you will be able to add the sports and activities in which you will be participating.

Winter sports travel insurance

We can provide cover for more than 25 different winter sports including ski travel insurance for on and off-piste skiing. As you make your way through the booking process you will be able to add specialised snow sports cover to your policy giving you extra protection for equipment, mountain rescue, helicopter rescue and repatriation.

Sports Injuries Medical Cover

Should you sustain any serious illness or bodily injury during participation in a sport you have chosen to cover, you'll benefit from our Emergency Assistance Service which operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. This service provides professional advice and assistance, as well as being able to make arrangements for hospital admission, repatriation and authorisation of medical expenses. Please note we can only provide cover for sport in a non-professional capacity.

You may be interested in this magazine article..


Top 10 Extreme Sports

Are you an adrenalin junkie? These Top 10 Extreme Sports are guaranteed to get anyone's heart pumping. Read More

Best Insurance Provider

24/7 Free Support

This Year

Trading As Essential Travel

99.8% Customer Satisfaction

Essential Travel Ltd Superior Cover

Ski Insurance

Ski Insurance

Our ski insurance can cover emergency medical expenses, piste closures, ski passes as well as the theft, loss and damage to personal and hired equipment.

Travel Insurance

Golf Insurance

No matter in which country you tee-off, Golf Insurance can provide cover for the loss, theft or damage to your personal or hired equipment as well as pre-paid green fees.

Scuba Diving Insurance

Scuba Diving Insurance

Whether you're an amateur or a more seasoned scuba diver, exploring the underwater world is an amazing experience. We can cover your trip for depths of up to 50m.

Medical Conditions

UK, Europe and Worldwide

Medical Emergencies

Baggage Cover

24/7 Emergency Helpline

Single, Annual and Backpacker

You can customise your policy further with pre-existing medical condition cover, sports and a number of other specialist add-ons.

Do You Need to Declare a Medical Condition?

If you have a pre-existing medical condition it's vital that you declare it or you could invalidate your entire policy. Insurers don't like to think that you've hidden things from them and you may be surprised to find out that many common medical conditions such as allergies can be added without any additional cost. What's more, you even have the option to declare a condition but then exclude it from your policy. What this means is that you've told your insurer about your condition but decided not to cover it, so you will be covered medically for anything unrelated to that condition.

Do You Need Extra Sports or Specialist Cover?

A decent policy will include cover for many sporty or adventure activities as standard. However the more adventurous or dangerous the activity, like winter sports, the more likely it is that you will need to purchase additional sports insurance. You can customise your policy further a number of other specialist add-ons.

Winter Sports

Adding Winter Sports cover to your Single, Annual or Backpacker insurance policy allows you to take part in over 25 winter sports, as well as providing:

Medical Cover: you will be covered for emergency medical expenses that occur should you have an accident and require medical attention including cover for mountain rescue, helicopter rescue costs and repatriation

Equipment: Winter Sports cover also provides peace of mind against any theft, loss or damage to your personal or hired equipment as well as any pre-paid fees.

winter sports cover →


Regardless of your handicap, cover for your golf equipment and pre-paid green fees can be added to your policy giving you nothing else to work on except your game.

Simply add extra golf protection to your Single, Annual Multi or Backpacker Trip policy to add extra protection for:

  • Your Personal Equipment up to £1000
  • Hired Equipment up to £200
  • Pre-paid Green Fees up to £300
golf trip insurance →


Self employed or working for a company, if you travel for work you can add extra protection against accidental loss, theft or damage to your business equipment to your Single, Annual Multi or Backpacker Trip policies.

Business cover protects equipment such as cameras, mobiles, laptops that you may need to work or have with you in meetings.

business trip insurance →


Sail the seas worry-free by adding extra cover for missed port, cabin confinement and unused excursions to any of our Single, Annual Multi or Backpacker Trip travel insurance policies.

Cruise cover will add extra protection for:

  • Extended baggage cover up to £3,500
  • Missed shore trips up to £500
  • Cabin confinement (due to illness) up to £600
  • Valuables up to £700
cruise insurance →


If you're planning on tying the knot abroad, extra cover for accidental loss, theft or damage to your wedding clothes, rings, gifts and photos can be added to your Single, Annual Multi or Backpacker Trip policy, to help ensure that your special day is everything it’s meant to be.

  • Wedding Clothes up to £1500 per person
  • Wedding Gifts up to £1000 per couple
  • Wedding Rings up to £250 per person
  • Wedding Photographs up to £750 per person
wedding travel insurance →

Excess Waiver

Should you need to claim on your travel insurance an Excess is the amount that you'll have to pay before we pick up the rest of the bill.

Avoid paying any excesses by adding the Excess Waiver option to your Single, Annual Multi or Backpacker Trip policy.

find out more →

Independent Traveller

If you've packaged your holiday yourself (without the help of a travel agent) add the Indepentent Traveller add-on will provide cover for additional scenarios such as:

  • Extended Cancellation and Curtailment: If you need to cancel or return home early because your booked accommodation becomes unreachable and unusable due to a travel ban or evacuation
  • Extended Delayed & Missed Departure: Not only will we pay you for the first 12 hours of delay, we'll also help with pre-paid travel, accomodation & any alternative travel arrangements you may need to make
find out more →

The ultimate online travel resource for armchair travellers and avid globetrotters alike.

Visit our monthly magazine & weekly blog for expert advice money saving tips and our pick of the best destinations to keep you inspired and in the know.

Sign up for 10%* off Essential products with our emails

We treat your privacy very seriously!

*Terms & Conditions apply

Essential Travel is a trading name of Holiday Extras Cover Ltd, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 828848. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd 05058680 is registered in England and Wales. Registered office address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Hythe, Kent CT21 4JF.

Essential Travel is underwritten by White Horse Insurance Ireland dac who are authorised by the Central Bank of Ireland. To check this you may visit