Single Trip Travel Insurance

Your holiday insurance, our expertise.

  • -

Right for you?

If you plan on travelling once or twice over the next year, our single trip policy is likely to be the most cost effective solution for you.

With no minimum trip duration, we can cover anyone under the age of 75 years old on a single trip policy for up to 31 days continual travel.

Whether you're on staycation in the UK, heading to Europe with the family or travelling to some far-flung worldwide destination, we can provide you with travel insurance. We can add extra cover to your policy for any pre-existing medical conditions you might have, offering cover for the majority of conditions. As well as over 100 sports and activities covered as standard, we also offer additional cover for things like snow sports and cruise cover and scuba insurance with a 24/7 emergency helpline.

Essential Travel single trip insurance covers:

Medical Conditions

UK, Europe and Worldwide

Medical Emergencies

Baggage Cover

24/7 Emergency Helpline

Single, Annual and Backpacker

It is important that you choose a level of cover that is suitable to the type of trip you are taking. Choosing a policy that is based on price could prove to be false economy and leave you short in areas that you should really cover.

Emergency Medical Expenses

Comprehensive health insurance is arguably the most important element of travel insurance and a reliable policy will cover you for hospital care, medical transportation and repatriation back to the UK in case of emergency. Overseas medical expenses can escalate quickly and even the cost to treat the smallest of injuries and ailments can soon mount up.

All our policies include different levels of emergency medical cover, but you should decide which level you take depending on the destination. For example, medical treatment in North America, Australia and the Caribbean is much higher than in Europe, and the cost of repatriation to the UK can run into tens of thousands of pounds.


European Health Insurance Card (formally an E111) will entitle you to receive state health care at a reduced cost or sometimes free in Europe, alone. It will cover you for treatment that is needed to allow you to continue your stay until your planned return. It can also cover you for treatment of pre-existing medical conditions and routine maternity care, as long as you are not going abroad specifically to give birth.

However it should not be treated as an alternative to a private travel insurance policy. It will not cover any private medical healthcare or costs such as mountain rescue in ski resorts, being flown back to the UK, or lost or stolen property. You can apply for a free EHIC via the NHS website - however, other unofficial websites may charge you if you apply with them.

Cancellation and Curtailment

We recommend that when taking out a policy with cancellation and curtailment cover in mind, you should ensure that the level of cover at least equals the value of your holiday to ensure that you can recoup loses if there are any problems that arise from transport, accommodation, or indeed if you have to cancel before you even take your trip.

Personal possessions

It can be easy to take everything on holiday and we may not realise how much items could cost to replace if lost, stolen or damaged. It is is worth taking a moment to add up the total cost of your belongings; gadgets, jewellery, clothing, passports and money as it may come to more than you realise. You should look for baggage and personal belongings cover that at least equals the cost to replace them, should anything happen.

Sports and hazardous activities

No matter where you are travelling, you are likely to need cover for some fun and games along the way. With Essential Travel we can provide sports travel insurance for all manner of activities, even on our cheapest travel insurance policy you will find over 100 sports included as standard.

As you make your way through the booking process you will also be able to add ski insurance to your policy, or if you plan on playing golf you can add that too, and for the more adventurous traveller, you can add many hazardous activities to your travel insurance.

If you know that you are only going to take just one or two trips in the next year it is very likely that a Single Trip policy is going to work out better for you. However, if it is possible that you will be taking more than two trips, you may want to consider an Annual Multi-trip policy, especially if you have a tendency to take advantage of last minute deals.

If you plan on making more than two trips within the next 365 days, it may be best to compare quotes with our annual multi-trip policy. To decide which will work out better value for you, you can switch between the price of a single and annual multi-trip policy when you receive your quote. If you like taking a last-minute break it may be worth the extra couple of pounds to your premium to ensure you're covered for multiple trips throughout the year, all with great cover with one policy.

Our backpacker travel insurance is valid for up to 2 years continual cover and includes working and volunteering abroad. This is one of the most popular choices for those travelling around Europe or on their round the world trip.

No matter where you're travelling there is a high probability you will be taking part in some form of sport or activity. While many insurers cover a handful of activities as standard, an Essential Travel insurance policy, will cover you for over 100 sports at no extra cost, providing that you are taking part in a non-professional capacity.

For the more adventurous travellers, you will be able to add higher risk sports and activities to your policy as you make your way through the booking process.

All sports and activities are assigned a sports grade that corresponds to the level of risk involved. The more extreme the sport, the higher the grade you will need.

As a guide, below you will find the type of activity you can expect from each sports grade:

  • Sports Grade 1 - Activities like cycling, jet-skiing and kayaking don't require extra cover. We cover 110 sports at no extra cost.
  • Sports Grade 2 - Activities such as bungee jumping, safari and motorcycling require extra sports cover to be added to your policy.
  • Sports Grade 3 - More risky activities such as paragliding and tandem sky diving require extra sports cover to be added to your policy.
  • Sports Grade 4 - High risk activities such as canyoning and rock climbing require the highest level of sports cover.

It is very important that you declare a pre-existing medical condition when you take out an insurance policy with us. Failure to declare a medical condition which you later claim on could invalidate your entire policy.

Pre-existing medical conditions are those that existed before an insurance policy was taken out. Any disease or illness for which you have ever received medication, advice or treatment or experienced symptoms for.

With Essential Travel you can add up to as many as 8 people with our Single Trip insurance, just can select the number of people you wish to cover at the start of your quote and they can all be added to the one policy.

Whether you are off on holiday or a business trip, our Business Insurance add-on is the ideal choice. It offers comprehensive cover for a trip in the UK, to Europe or Worldwide and provides additional extras such as protection for cameras, mobiles and laptops.

It is best to buy travel insuranceas soon as you have booked any accommodation and transport to ensure you benefit from immediate cancellation protection. Our cancellation and curtailment policy can cover events such as the death, bodily injury or serious illness to you, a travelling companion and close relatives. For a full breakdown of what is covered, please read our Policy Guide.

No - Unfortunately, the UK does not have an agreement in place with Turkey regarding health care. As a result, an EHIC will not be valid, so it is important to remember to buy a comprehensive travel insurance policy when visiting turkey.
Do ensure you buy or renew your EHIC through an official website such as the NHS website, where the service is free. Some websites will charge.

As you make your way through the booking process you can customise your annual holiday insurance policy - with the option of adding extras such as winter sports, hazardous activities and business trip cover.

Winter Sports

Adding Winter Sports cover to your Single, Annual or Backpacker insurance policy allows you to take part in over 25 winter sports, as well as providing:

Medical Cover: you will be covered for emergency medical expenses that occur should you have an accident and require medical attention including cover for mountain rescue, helicopter rescue costs and repatriation

Equipment: Winter Sports cover also provides peace of mind against any theft, loss or damage to your personal or hired equipment as well as any pre-paid fees.

winter sports cover →
Winter sports


Regardless of your handicap, cover for your golf equipment and pre-paid green fees can be added to your policy giving you nothing else to work on except your game.

Simply add extra golf protection to your Single, Annual Multi or Backpacker Trip policy to add extra protection for:

  • Your Personal Equipment up to £1000
  • Hired Equipment up to £200
  • Pre-paid Green Fees up to £300
golf trip insurance →


Self employed or working for a company, if you travel for work you can add extra protection against accidental loss, theft or damage to your business equipment to your Single, Annual Multi or Backpacker Trip policies.

Business cover protects equipment such as cameras, mobiles, laptops that you may need to work or have with you in meetings.

business trip insurance →


Sail the seas worry-free by adding extra cover for missed port and cabin confinement to any of our Single, Annual Multi or Backpacker Trip travel insurance policies.

Cruise cover will add extra protection for:

  • Extended baggage cover up to £3,500
  • Missed shore trips up to £500
  • Cabin confinement (due to illness) up to £600
  • Valuables up to £700
cruise insurance →


If you're planning on tying the knot abroad, extra cover for accidental loss, theft or damage to your wedding clothes, rings, gifts and photos can be added to your Single, Annual Multi or Backpacker Trip policy, to help ensure that your special day is everything it’s meant to be.

  • Wedding Clothes up to £1500 per person
  • Wedding Gifts up to £1000 per couple
  • Wedding Rings up to £250 per person
  • Wedding Photographs up to £750 per person
wedding travel insurance →

Excess Waiver

Should you need to claim on your travel insurance an Excess is the amount that you'll have to pay before we pick up the rest of the bill.

Avoid paying any excesses by adding the Excess Waiver option to your Single, Annual Multi or Backpacker Trip policy.

find out more →
Excess waiver

The ultimate online travel resource for armchair travellers and avid globetrotters alike.

Visit our monthly magazine & weekly blog for expert advice money saving tips and our pick of the best destinations to keep you inspired and in the know.

Essential Travel is a trading name of Holiday Extras Cover Ltd. Holiday Extras Cover Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and is registered in England and Wales. Registered address: Ashford Road, Newingreen, Kent CT21 4JF. Company number 05058680.

Holiday Extras Cover Ltd is underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered address 2nd Floor, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent. ME19 4UY. Company number 03220410.