Your Holiday Insurance, Our Expertise.


Common Travel Insurance FAQs

Stuck and looking for answers? You're in the right place.

Do I have to be a UK or Irish resident to get travel insurance from Essential Travel?

Yes. We can only cover UK and Republic of Ireland residents (who have been residents for at least 6 months) on our travel insurance policies.

Why haven't I received my confirmation email?

Our confirmation emails are automatically sent within minutes of your policy being purchased. If you haven't received your policy confirmation email please:

  1. Check your junk mail folder. Sometimes a confirmation can be sent to your junk mail. If you haven't already done so, make sure we are added to your list of safe senders. If you have an AOL or hotmail address check our instructions for adding us to your safe senders list.

Why haven't I received my postal confirmation?

If you have requested that a hard copy of your policy and policy certificate are posted to you, you should normally receive this within 3 working days. All postal policies are mailed by 1st class Royal Mail on the day of purchase Monday to Friday.

If you have not received your postal policy within 7 days of purchase, please contact us and we will re-send your policy without delay.

Can you re-send my policy?

Yes, contact us and we'll be happy to re-send your policy.

I am pregnant. Can you offer me travel insurance?

Yes. We are happy to insure you so long as your airline is happy to carry you. However, if you are due to give birth while you are travelling, you would not be covered for your medical expenses in the event of normal childbirth.

For further information on your travel insurance if pregnant, please visit our Pregnancy Travel Insurance page.

What is the maximum age you insure up to?

Our Standard, Essential Plus and Superior policies offer cover for individuals up to the age of 74 years.

Our Winter Sports cover is only available for individuals up to the age of 65 years.

I'm over 74 years of age. Can I buy insurance?

We offer special tailored policies for those over 74 years. Please visit our Over 74 Travel Insurance page to purchase an Over 74 policy.

I am 74 years old but will have my 75th birthday before my policy expires - am I still covered?

Yes, you are still covered. Your policy age is considered as the age you are at the time the policy is purchased.

Can the named policy holders travel independently of the main policyholder using the same policy?

Only adults over the age of 18 may travel independently of the main named policyholder. Children must travel with at least one of the named adults.

Can children who are included on an annual policy travel on their own?

On an annual policy only adults may travel independently. Children must travel with at least one of the named adults.

Please note: Children can be insured as lone travellers if they take out an individual Travel Insurance policy. Before allowing children to travel on their own, you should check with the airline/travel company etc that they will be prepared to take children travelling alone.

What is Live Chat?

Live chat is an online chat tool that enables you to interact with one of our friendly customer service representatives to help you during a booking.

If you still haven't found the answer you're looking for, we're on hand to help!

contact us →