Summary: British nationals are advised against all non-essential travel to Mexico following the World Health Organisation's (WHO) decision to upgrade the Pandemic Threat Alert Phase to Level 4 for Swine Flu (H1N1 Virus). This is following the increased evidence of human to human transmission after the recent deaths of four people.
If your travel needs to Mexico are non-essential and you are able to, British travellers are advised to postpone their holiday plans to Mexico.
British nationals are advised to keep following assistance and advice from local authorities and and medical professionals with regard to following preventative and precautionary measures from exposure to the virus.
Cases of the virus have already been reported in:
- Mexico City
- Chihuahua state
- Along the border between Mexico and the USA
The Mexican Health Secretariat has advised that people:
- Refrain from large crowds and gatherings
- Avoid shaking hands and kissing individuals when greeting
- Maintain a distance of six feet from other people
- Frequently wash your hands
British Nationals in Mexico, who have an urgent consular issue may call the Embassy on (01 55) 5242 8500 for assistance.
How H1N1 Virus Outbreak Will Affect Customers
Travel Insurance - Provided your policy and your holiday to Mexico was purchased before the announcement outbreak, you will be covered by the full schedule of benefits for:
- Travel delay - you will be provided with up to £20 coverage for the first full 12 consecutive hours delay, followed by the subsequent amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits for each full 12 hours delay thereafter.
- Holiday abandonment - you will be covered for all irrecoverable and unused accommodation and travel costs provided the departure of the scheduled public transport on which you are booked to travel is delayed at the final departure point from the United Kingdom for at least 24 hours.
- Cancellation - you will be paid up to the amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits for any irrecoverable unused travel and accommodation costs if the reason for cancellation is unavoidable and necessary.
Airport Parking - Should you need to cancel your airport parking and did not purchase a cancellation waiver when making your booking, you will be charged a cancellation fee of £5. Please note: cancellations will only be refunded if made at least 24 hours before the expected time of arrival.
Airport Hotels - You can amend or cancel a booking up to 48 hours before arrival. Depending on which hotel you book the cancellation will either be free or a fee of £15 per room will be applicable. No refunds are available if you cancel within less than 48 hours notice.
Should you need assistance in cancelling your airport parking or hotel, please call customer services on 0845 803 5434 (lines are open Monday -Friday: 9am - 5.30pm).