Summary: Spain is hosting the European Central Bank Summit from 2 May 2012 to 4 May 2012. Security will be heightened at all entrance ports, airports and boarder crossings during the summit. Travellers and tourists are advised to allow for extra time to pass through security checks.
Due to the summit, there is the potential for protests to break out in major cities throughout Spain. British nationals are strongly advised to avoid any large public gatherings which have the potential to turn into protests.
British tourists are also advised to:
- Allow for enough time to travel to the airport and to pass through the heightened security checks
- Keep your passport on your person when sight-seeing as proof of identity
- Be aware of large gatherings and avoid them
How this affects our customers:
Customers who are soon to travel:
Travel Insurance - Provided your policy and your holiday to Spain are purchased before any major protests are announced, you will be covered by the full schedule of benefits for:
- Travel delay - you will be provided with up to £20 coverage for the first full 12 consecutive hour delay, followed by the subsequent amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits for each full 12 hours delay thereafter.
- Missed departure - you will be covered for reasonable additional accommodation and travel costs in reaching your destination if you miss the transportation you have booked due to protest action.
Airport Parking - Should you need to cancel your airport parking and did not purchase a cancellation waiver when making your booking, you will be charged a cancellation fee of £5. Please note: cancellations will only be refunded if made at least 24 hours before the expected time of arrival.
Airport Hotels - You can amend or cancel a booking up to 48 hours before arrival. Depending on which hotel you book the cancellation will either be free or a fee of £15 per room will be applicable. No refunds are available if you cancel within less than 48 hours notice.
Should you need assistance in cancelling your airport parking or hotel, please call customer services on 0845 803 5434 (lines are open Monday -Friday: 9am - 5.30pm).
Customers already in Spain:
Travel Insurance: The period of insurance is automatically extended for the period of the delay in the event that your return to the UK is unavoidably delayed due to an event insured by this policy.
Airport and hotel parking: If you are severely delayed you can call us on 0845 803 5434 and we will let the car park or hotel know that you will be returning later than planned. You can then pay for extra day's parking directly at the car park on your return.