Summary: Tourists going to Greece have been advised against buying their flights and accommodation separately by consumer watchdogs. Travellers are being urged to book holiday packages and buy travel insurance in order to protect their money due to the current financial climate.
What Should Travellers Going To Greece Do?
- Book a protected holiday package instead of an independent holiday for added security.
- Make sure that the holiday package company is registered with Air Travel Organizers License (ATOL).
- Take out travel insurance if you've already booked an independent holiday.
Customers Who Are Soon To Travel:
Travel Insurance - It is important to know that if you are aware of events that may cause disruptions to your holiday before you buy travel insurance, you will not be covered for incidents related to those events. Provided that you purchase relevant travel insurance for your holiday in Greece, you will be covered by the full schedule of benefits for:
- Failure Of Carrier - you will be provided with up to £1000 coverage under the Essential Travel Superior cover should your airline be unable to take you to your destination due to bankruptcy or liquidation.
- Loss Of Hotel Facilities - you will be covered for up to £150 under the Essential Travel Superior travel insurance should you be unable to use hotel facilities such as water and electricity due to Greece’s potential bankruptcy.
Airport Parking - Should you need to cancel your airport parking and did not purchase a cancellation waiver when making your booking, you will be charged a cancellation fee of £5. Please note: cancellations will only be refunded if made at least 24 hours before the expected time of arrival.
Airport Hotels - You can amend or cancel a booking up to 48 hours before arrival. Depending on which hotel you book the cancellation will either be free or a fee of £15 per room will be applicable. No refunds are available if you cancel within less than 48 hours notice.
Should you need assistance in cancelling your airport parking or hotel, please call customer services on 0845 803 5434 (lines are open Monday -Friday: 9am - 5.30pm).
Customers already in Greece:
Travel Insurance: The period of insurance is automatically extended should you be delayed from returning to the UK due to any strikes or protests in Greece.
Airport and hotel parking: If you are severely delayed you can call us on 0845 803 5434 and we will let the car park or hotel know that you will be returning later than planned. You can then pay for extra day's parking directly at the car park on your return.