Do you have a pre-existing medical condition that you need to declare to your travel insurance provider? Get advice on pre-existing medical conditions.
Independent Travel Holiday Insurance
From only £23.08 per Week
- Hotel cancellation cover
- Cover for insolvency of provider
- Delayed/missed flights cover
- UK, Europe or Worldwide
- 24hr Emergency Assistance
From only £23.08 per Week
Travel Insurance for Independent Travellers
Planning your own getaway without travel agents or tour operators could get you exactly the trip you're after without compromising on features. Essential Travel will cover you for these trips when you add extra Independent Traveller Insurance cover to your holiday insurance quote. To add this to your Single, Annual or Backpacker trip, simply complete the quote form and select Independent Traveller as a policy extra after filling in your personal details.
With Independent Traveller protection added to your policy, you enjoy 4 extended benefits:
- Extended Cancellation and curtailment: Up to £5,000*
- Extended Delayed Departure: Up to £200
- Extended Missed Departure: Up to £1,000
- Accommodation: Up to £5,000*
*Your cover will not apply if these costs are recoverable from the accommodation or transportation provider themselves.
Experts Top Tip: Independent Traveller is useful if you are planning your own trip or part of it, since you may not be covered under travel industry protection schemes for insolvencies (bankruptcy) and cancellations.
1. Extended Cancellation and Curtailment
You are advised to claim for your benefits when your booked accommodation becomes unreachable and unusable due to a travel ban or evacuation recommendation issued by one of the following bodies:
- Travel Advice Unit of the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO)
- World Health Organisation (WHO)
- An office/organisation of similar authority
2. Extended Delayed Departure
Not only will we pay you for the first 12 hours of delay, but also every concurrent 12 hour period up to the cover limit indicated in the list above as long as you do eventually continue on your planned trip.
If you are unable to continue on your trip and have paid or are contracted to pay for your public transport and accommodation, you can claim for benefits. Before you claim, be sure that:
- Your public transport from home is cancelled or delayed for more than 12 hours
- You are denied boarding due to overbooking and there are no alternatives within 12 hours
- Air space closures as a direct result of a volcanic eruptions
You also can claim when you have to make alternative travel arrangements because the public transport provider failed to offer reasonable alternatives after:
- Your public transport is cancelled/delayed for 12 hours, or redirected/diverted after you take off
- You are not allowed to board and there are no alternative flights within a 12 hour period
- Volcanic eruptions cause an air space closure
Experts Top Tip: When securing a quote, please note that the Independent Traveller add-on is not available on our Standard cover level.
3. Extended Missed Departure
Missed departure covers you for extra expenses for travel and accommodation if you fail to arrive at your departure point. Conditions for cover include:
- Public transport failing you
- Adverse weather conditions, industrial strikes or action
- Not boarding due to overbooking without securing an alternative flight within 12 hours
- Air space closing due to volcanic eruptions
This extra cover lets you claim for you not being able to reach or use your reserved accommodation. It also incorporates reasonable travel and accommodation costs for you having to move to alternative accommodation or curtail your trip due to:
- Insolvency of your accommodation provider
- Infectious disease at your resort
- Food poisoning at your resort
- Hurricane storms
- A tsunami wave
- Stormy weather
- An earthquake
- An avalanche
- An explosion
- A landslide
You may be interested in this magazine article..
You may not be protected under major travel schemes if you book the various components of your holiday separately, however, you will have some limited protection if you pay by credit card. That's why travel insurance is vital for independent travel: it will give you all the extra protection you need. For more on protecting your holiday - Read More
Add Extra Cover
You can customise your policy further with pre-existing medical condition cover, sports and a number of other specialist add-ons.
Do You Need to Declare a Medical Condition?
If you have a pre-existing medical condition its vital that you declare it or you could invalidate your entire policy. Insurers dont like to think that youve hidden things from them and you may be surprised to find out that many common medical conditions such as allergies can be added without any additional cost. Whats more, you even have the option to declare a condition but then exclude it from your policy. What this means is that youve told your insurer about your condition but decided not to cover it, so you will be covered medically for anything unrelated to that condition.
Do You Need Extra Sports or Specialist Cover?
A decent policy will include cover for many sporty or adventure activities as standard. However the more adventurous or dangerous the activity, like winter sports, the more likely it is that you will need to purchase additional sports insurance. You can customise your policy further a number of other specialist add-ons.
If you want to play sport on holiday, make sure you do so safely by adding the correct sports grade to your policy.
100+ sports are covered at no extra cost on our policies!
By adding Winter Sports to your Single, Annual or Backpacker policy you can take part in over 26 winter sports and be covered for:
Medical: you will be covered for emergency medical expenses that occur should you have an accident and require medical attention including cover for mountain rescue, helicopter rescue costs and repatriation
Equipment: Winter Sports cover also provides peace of mind against any theft, loss or damage to your personal or hired equipment as well as any pre-paid fees.winter sports cover →
Regardless of your handicap, cover for your golf equipment and pre-paid green fees can be added to your policy giving you nothing else to work on except your game.
Simply add extra golf protection to your Single, Annual Multi or Backpacker Trip policy to add extra protection for:
- Your Personal Equipment up to £1000
- Hired Equipment up to £200
- Pre-paid Green Fees up to £300
Self employed or working for a company, if you travel for work you can add extra protection against accidental loss, theft or damage to your business equipment to your Single, Annual Multi or Backpacker Trip policies.
Business cover protects equipment such as cameras, mobiles, laptops that you may need to work or have with you in meetings.business trip insurance →
Sail the seas worry-free by adding extra cover for missed port, cabin confinement and unused excursions to any of our Single, Annual Multi or Backpacker Trip travel insurance policies.
Cruise cover will add extra protection for:
- Extended baggage cover up to £3,500
- Missed shore trips up to £500
- Cabin confinement (due to illness) up to £600
- Valuables up to £700
If you're planning on tying the knot abroad, extra cover for accidental loss, theft or damage to your your wedding clothes, rings, gifts and photos can be added to your Single, Annual Multi or Backpacker Trip policy, to help ensure that your special day is everything its meant to be.
- Wedding Clothes up to £1500 per person
- Wedding Gifts up to £1000 per couple
- Wedding Rings up to £250 per person
- Wedding Photographs up to £750 per person
Should you need to claim on your travel insurance an Excess is the amount that you'll have to pay before we pick up the rest of the bill.
Avoid paying any excesses by adding the Excess Waiver option to your Single, Annual Multi or Backpacker Trip policy.find out more →
If you've packaged your holiday yourself (without the help of a travel agent) add the Independent Traveller add-on will provide cover for additional scenarios such as:
- Extended Cancellation and Curtailment: If you need to cancel or return home early because your booked accommodation becomes unreachable and unusable due to a travel ban or evacuation
- Extended Delayed & Missed Departure: Not only will we pay you for the first 12 hours of delay, we'll also help with pre-paid travel, accomodation & any alternative travel arrangements you may need to make
Travel Insurance Reviews
Customers have scored Essential Travel on average 87% 100 based on 1066 reviews.
Total Rating: 5/5
Simple & easy to use website
Easy to understand and use website. No interaction with any staff members so cannot comment...hopefully we won't need to use the insurance but as for setting it up, no problems at all.
Mr Mason - Wed, 06 Nov 2013
Total Rating: 4/4
Helpful customer service staff, straightforward advice
Very happy with the service I received when going through the claims process.
Ms Duncan - Wed, 06 Nov 2013
Total Rating: 5/5
5 stars for the ease of use (website) and fast booking procedure
Getting a proposal was easy. You then only had to make up your mind about the sort of coverage you want and book it accordingly. I decided against the paper documents (sent by mail) just for the reason being I ran out of time as I booked late. Fortunately I didn't have to make use of the services on the spot and therefore cannot comment on that part.
Maika Wolf - Sun, 03 Nov 2013
Find the right travel insurance for your needs with Essential Travel's Expert Tips:
Essential Travel recommends the best time to purchase your travel insurance to make sure your holiday is fully covered and you get the most from your policy.
Learn how to cut costs on your holiday insurance & receive exclusive travel insurance discounts. Cover for medical emergencies, cancellation and lost luggage.