Annual Multi Trip insurance is the ideal option for those who want comprehensive cover for all their trips this year, even those last minute adventures abroad.
Why is holiday insurance so important?
No one wants to think about what could go wrong and a good travel insurance policy means that you dont have to think too long about it. But the reality is, when youre in unfamiliar places, youre far more vulnerable to encountering bumps in the road such as cancellations, illnesses and lost or stolen possessions.
Put simply, a travel insurance policy provides a financial safety net, so that if things do go wrong youre not going to be slapped with a massive bill that will at best eat into your travel budget or at worst sacrifice your entire trip and the money already spent on it.
Comprehensive holiday insurance for those aged up to 74 years old for up to 87 days continuous travel no matter where you travel - UK, Europe and Worldwide.
Our Backpacker Travel Insurance can cover 2 years continual travel, including working and volunteering as well as medical, cancellation and baggage cover.
- 5 Travel Routes
- 6 Month Travel Insurance
- Abbey Travel Insurance
- About The Campaign
- Abseiling Travel Insurance
- Advance Your Career
- After You Return
- Alex Regan
- Allergy Travel Insurance
- Alternative Accommodation
- Annual Parking Discount
- Annual Ski Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance
- Annual Travel Insurance Winter Sports
- Arthritis Travel Insurance
- Asthma Travel Insurance
- Au Pair
- Auto Renewal
- Avalanche Safety
- Backpacker Bible
- Backpacker Insurance
- Before You Ask The Boss
- Belinda Clarke
- Best Time
- Best Time To Buy Travel Insurance
- Best Travel Insurance
- Bobskis Discount
- Booking Questions
- British Airways Hand Luggage
- Broken Bones Travel Insurance
- Bungee Jump
- Business Trip Travel Insurance
- Buying A Ski Helmet
- Campaign Partners Page
- Candis Travel Insurance
- Career Break After Divorce
- Career Break Law
- Career Gap
- Charlie Elmore Story
- Cheap Travel Insurance
- Chelston Direct
- Chelston Direct Discount
- Childrens Travel Insurance
- Choose Ski School
- Claims Questions
- Common Questions
- Compare Travel Insurance
- Cooperative Travel Insurance
- Couple Travel Insurance
- Crash Reel
- Cruise Travel Insurance
- Csma Travel Insurance Compare
- Cultural Retreat
- Culture Shock
- Debbie Suenson Taylor
- Debenhams Holiday Insurance
- Defer University Place
- Diabetes Travel Insurance
- Digital Nomad
- Direct Line Travel Insurance
- Ellis Brigham
- Ellis Brigham Discount
- Emergency Assistance
- Epilepsy Travel Insurance
- Essential Cover
- Essential Plus Cover
- European Health Card Insurance Beware
- European Health Insurance Card
- European Travel Insurance
- Excess Waiver
- Facewest Discount
- Family Ski Insurance
- Family Travel Insurance
- Fco Egypt Travel Warnings
- Find Paid Work Abroad
- Fosy Discount
- Gap Year Travel Insurance
- Grandparents Travel Insurance
- Gregor Samuels Story
- Group Travel Insurance
- Heart Attack Travel Insurance
- Helmets Save Lives
- High Blood Pressure Travel Insurance
- How To Organise A Budget
- How To Travel Safe
- Iceland Volcano
- Independent Traveller Insurance
- Keep In Touch
- Keeping Kids Safe
- Learn A Language
- Left Bank Manc
- Long Stay Travel Insurance
- Medical Questions
- Medical Travel Insurance
- Michaela Grill
- Mongol Rally
- Moving Abroad
- Neilson Discount
- Nicole Cohen
- Off Piste Ski Insurance
- Olly Beckett
- One Way Travel Insurance
- Over 70
- Over55 Travel Insurance
- Personal Liability Travel Insurance
- Planning Your Budget
- Policy Amendment Questions
- Post Office Travel Insurance
- Preexisting Medical Conditions
- Pregnant Travel Insurance
- Premium Bank Account Travel Insurance
- Pros On The Slopes
- Questions About Cover
- Rachel Newton
- Reduce Cost Holiday Insurance
- Reignite Passion Profession
- Renewal Questions
- Rental Republic
- Rental Republic Discount
- Review Fosy Headbands
- Review Skia Trainer
- Rose Parnell
- Safety Kits
- Save On Travel Insurance
- Saving For A Break
- Sea Safe Travel Insurance Discount
- Sea Sense Homepage
- Sea Sense Kirsty Jones
- Sea Sense Lesson With Kirsty
- Sea Sense Ticket To Ride
- Sea Sense Travel Insurance
- Shopping Abroad
- Short Term Travel Insurance
- Simon Stannard
- Single Parent Travel Insurance
- Single Trip
- Single Trip Travel Insurance Europe
- Ski Apps
- Ski Helmet Myth Busting
- Ski Helmet Testing
- Ski Instructor
- Ski Rep
- Ski Resort
- Ski Safety Across The World
- Ski With Mobile Phone
- Snowboarding Insurance
- Standard Cover
- Study Abroad Insurance
- Summer Camp
- Superior Travel Insurance
- Tailwags Discount
- Teach English Abroad
- Teaching Qualifications
- Terrorism Travel Insurance
- Thomson Travel Insurance
- Tips For Interning Abroad
- Travel Insurance Airline Strikes
- Travel Insurance Death
- Travel Insurance Excess
- Travel Insurance For Hand Luggage Only
- Travel Insurance Mistakes To Avoid
- Travel Insurance Price Comparison
- Travel Insurance Weather
- Travel With Friends
- Travelling Solo
- Truth Behind Blogging
- Under 17 Travel Insurance
- Under 18 Travel Insurance
- Use Your Head
- View Policywording
- Volunteer Abroad
- Volunteer Travel Insurance
- Wedding Travel Insurance
- Weekend Travel Insurance
- What Is Backpacker Insurance
- White Horse Insurance
- Why Work Abroad
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Winter Sports Travel Insurance
- Working Abroad Holiday Insurance
- Working Visas
What kind of policy do you need?
Typically there are 3 types of travel insurance policies available for you to choose from:
- Single Trip Travel Insurance - protects 1 trip of up to 90 days making it the perfect choice for one off holidays or weekends away.
- Annual Travel Insurance - protects an unlimited number of trips for one year, each trip consisting of a maximum duration of 45 days. This option is ideal if you travel often as it can often work out cheaper than buying several single trip policies. Whats more, you can nip off at the drop of a hat knowing youre covered.
- Backpacker Travel Insurance - protects up to 2 years of continuous travel and is designed specifically for people on gap years, career breaks and travelling the world on an extended trip. It also has the added benefit of covering many work and volunteer activities as well as an unexpected trip home.
What should a good travel insurance policy include?
To help you know what to look for, below are some of the minimum requirements you will want to make sure youve covered for.
- Medical Emergencies: Being covered for medical expenses is probably the most important element of your policy. Unlike the UK, most countries do not have a free health service similar to the NHS, so you could find yourself facing a medical bill for thousands of pounds if you fall ill or have an accident abroad. Do not underestimate the costs of hospital bills! You want to be able to focus on getting better than worrying about the cost of treatment.
- Lost or Stolen Possessions: You may not have a lot of stuff with you, but the bits you do have will no doubt be essential to your trip such as your passport, mobile, tablet or money. Losing or having these items stolen will not only be annoying, but could seriously make a dent in your carefully organised budget if youre forced to cough up to replace the goods.
- Cancellation: Should you fall ill and can no longer go away on your trip or something happens that means you need to cut your trip short, your insurance policy will help you recover the costs youve already paid. Having to say goodbye to your trip would be hard enough, but saying goodbye to the money as well is avoidable.
Choosing the best travel insurance
With so many cheap travel insurance policies available it can be difficult trying to decide which is the best for you. To help you decide, we have created our Best Travel Insurance guide that will give you an overview of what to bear in mind when choosing insurance for your next trip.
Travel Insurance for your holiday
At Essential Travel we offer four types of travel insurance depending on your destination. Our European Travel Insurance is a popular choice for those heading to the continent for skiing in Europe, lazing on a beach or Interailling around Europe.
If you're heading further afield we have worldwide travel insurance that can include or exclude North America and the Caribbean.
Last but not least is UK Travel Insurance. With the rising cost of a staycation, travel insurance for the UK is sometimes overlooked, but just like any country, your hotel or transport can be cancelled or your personal belongings can be stolen, lost or damaged.
At Essential Travel, we can cover these, as well as cancellation and curtailment, emergency medical cover, sports insurance and activities, and a whole lot more.
Travel Insurance Reviews
Customers have scored Essential Travel 8.5 (ratings from 0-10) based on 1551 reviews.
Add Extra Cover
You can customise your policy further with pre-existing medical condition cover, sports and a number of other specialist add-ons.
Do You Need to Declare a Medical Condition?
If you have a pre-existing medical condition its vital that you declare it or you could invalidate your entire policy. Insurers dont like to think that youve hidden things from them and you may be surprised to find out that many common medical conditions such as allergies can be added without any additional cost. Whats more, you even have the option to declare a condition but then exclude it from your policy. What this means is that youve told your insurer about your condition but decided not to cover it, so you will be covered medically for anything unrelated to that condition.
Do You Need Extra Sports or Specialist Cover?
A decent policy will include cover for many sporty or adventure activities as standard. However the more adventurous or dangerous the activity, like winter sports, the more likely it is that you will need to purchase additional sports insurance. You can customise your policy further a number of other specialist add-ons.
If you want to play sport on holiday, make sure you do so safely by adding the correct sports insurance grade to your policy.
100+ sports are covered at no extra cost on our policies!
All Sports Grades
|Grade 1 Cover - FREE|
By adding Winter Sports to your Single, Annual or Backpacker policy you can take part in over 26 winter sports and be covered for:
Medical: you will be covered for emergency medical expenses that occur should you have an accident and require medical attention including cover for mountain rescue, helicopter rescue costs and repatriation
Equipment: Winter Sports cover also provides peace of mind against any theft, loss or damage to your personal or hired equipment as well as any pre-paid fees.winter sports cover →
Regardless of your handicap, cover for your golf equipment and pre-paid green fees can be added to your policy giving you nothing else to work on except your game.
Simply add extra golf protection to your Single, Annual Multi or Backpacker Trip policy to add extra protection for:
- Your Personal Equipment up to £1000
- Hired Equipment up to £200
- Pre-paid Green Fees up to £300
Self employed or working for a company, if you travel for work you can add extra protection against accidental loss, theft or damage to your business equipment to your Single, Annual Multi or Backpacker Trip policies.
Business cover protects equipment such as cameras, mobiles, laptops that you may need to work or have with you in meetings.business trip insurance →
Sail the seas worry-free by adding extra cover for missed port, cabin confinement and unused excursions to any of our Single, Annual Multi or Backpacker Trip travel insurance policies.
Cruise cover will add extra protection for:
- Extended baggage cover up to £3,500
- Missed shore trips up to £500
- Cabin confinement (due to illness) up to £600
- Valuables up to £700
If you're planning on tying the knot abroad, extra cover for accidental loss, theft or damage to your your wedding clothes, rings, gifts and photos can be added to your Single, Annual Multi or Backpacker Trip policy, to help ensure that your special day is everything its meant to be.
- Wedding Clothes up to £1500 per person
- Wedding Gifts up to £1000 per couple
- Wedding Rings up to £250 per person
- Wedding Photographs up to £750 per person
Should you need to claim on your travel insurance an Excess is the amount that you'll have to pay before we pick up the rest of the bill.
Avoid paying any excesses by adding the Excess Waiver option to your Single, Annual Multi or Backpacker Trip policy.find out more →
If you've packaged your holiday yourself (without the help of a travel agent) add the Indepentent Traveller add-on will provide cover for additional scenarios such as:
- Extended Cancellation and Curtailment: If you need to cancel or return home early because your booked accommodation becomes unreachable and unusable due to a travel ban or evacuation
- Extended Delayed & Missed Departure: Not only will we pay you for the first 12 hours of delay, we'll also help with pre-paid travel, accomodation & any alternative travel arrangements you may need to make
Total Rating: 5/5
Exactly what I was looking for
This website made the mundane task of sorting insurance out very simple indeed. I selected my choices, was offered it at a great price and immediately received confirmation of my policy. Have used them before and would recommend them to anybody.
Mr Balsom - March, 3 2014
Total Rating: 5/5
Easy to arrange your insurance
I found essential travel insurance ideal for my requirements short trips or longer holidays are catered for easy to arrange and good prices I would recommend this company for all your travel needs.
Mr Conway - Feb 28, 2014
Total Rating: 5/5
Easy to book and good price
I remembered about travel insurance a couple of days before we travelled. I was able to get a quote immediately online and see 3 levels of cover described clearly and in detail. Having chosen what I wanted I was able to pay easily and had immediate peace of mind for our trip.
Ms. Watson - Feb 25, 2014
Find the right travel insurance for your needs with Essential Travel:
Travel Insurance Australia
Australia is one of the most popular long-haul destinations for Brits. There is so much to do and see in this vast country and its warm climate, sandy beaches and tropical rain forests make it a popular destination for backpackers on their round the world trip and families a like. Whatever your reason for visiting this beautiful country, our travel insurance for Australia can keep you covered should anything happen while you are away.
Travel Insurance Cuba
Floating halfway between the US to the north and Latin America to the south, Cuba seems to be stuck between the two. Where infrastructure has suffered from its turbulent past, the culture has boomed. Cuba is one of the most incredible places to see the arts. You will hear music emerge from houses, dance in the streets and you'll see it everywhere. The Cuban people keep this country's pulse beating and they will ensure you have an unforgettable time. Whether you soak up the sun on sandy beaches, dive the reefs in search of sea life or simply explore the back streets of Havana, you will remember Cuba. Whatever your reasons, we have you covered with our travel insurance to Cuba
Travel Insurance Turkey
A mesmerising mix of the exotic and the familiar, Turkey has long been dubbed the 'bridge between East and West'. Its rich history, warm weather and beautiful sandy beaches make it a popular destination among Britons. Whether you are soaking up the sun at a beach resort or exploring the maze of Turkish bazaars, our travel insurance for Turkey can keep you covered should anything disrupt your time away.
Travel Insurance USA
Whether you're skiing in Vermont, seeing a show on Broadway or soaking up the sun on the West Coast, you will want to ensure you are comprehensively covered with our travel insurance for USA. Medical expenses and repatriation to North America and the Caribbean are some of the highest in the world, that is why at Essential Travel we can cover pre-existing medical conditions, as well as provide comprehensive emergency medical cover, along with many other extras.
Travel Insurance UK
Many people forget the need for travel insurance when they're on a staycation but the cost of accommodation, attractions and transport are not often cheap. Our UK travel insurance can cover you for any length of stay, provide you with cancellation cover, 100's of sports and a lot more no matter where you visit.
All Travel Insurance
Please visit our travel insurance site map for a complete breakdown of all trip types and insurance policies offered by Essential Travel.
Do you have a pre-existing medical condition that you need to declare to your travel insurance provider? Get advice on pre-existing medical conditions.
Essential Travel recommends the best time to purchase your travel insurance to make sure your holiday is fully covered and you get the most from your policy.
Learn how to cut costs on your holiday insurance & receive exclusive travel insurance discounts. Cover for medical emergencies, cancellation and lost luggage.