Essential Travel Scoop 2010 Travelmole Award
Last Updated: 18 June 2010
Summary: Essential Travel has plenty of reason to celebrate after scooping the Best Travel Add Ons Website Award at the 2010 TravelMole Web Awards in London yesterday.
A Victory for Essential Travel:
The seventh annual TravelMole Web Awards were held on 17 June to recognise excellence in travel websites. The anticipated awards ceremony was hosted at the Canadian High Commission in London. The winners celebrated late into the night at the event's after-party held at the Texas Embassy.
This award adds to Essential Travel's list of accolades which includes the title of the Best Travel Insurance Website of 2009 at the Travolution Awards.
Behind the Scenes:
The nomination process for the 2010 TravelMole Web Awards kicked off in late March and came to a close in mid-May. Essential Travel was overjoyed when it appeared on the shortlist announcement which was released in the first week of June.
Staying on as headline sponsors this year were Travelport and Youtravel.com, backed by Car Trawler, Travel2, Avis, Canadian Tourism Commission, Illusions on-line, and Traveltek. The top performers in the online travel industry emerged as follows:
And the Winners are...
- Car hire - www.holidayautos.co.uk
- Accommodation only - www.i-escape.com
- Airline - http://flybmi.com
- Cruise, ferry,rail - www.pocruises.com
- Mobile technology - www.thetrainline.com
- Holiday Add-ons - www.essentialtravel.co.uk
- Responsible tourism - www.responsibletravel.com
- Hotel resorts - www.borgoegnazia.com
- Meta search - www.skyscanner.net
- Recruitment - www.gailkenny.com
- Tour operator - www.gapadventures.co.uk
- Tourist board - www.yorkshire.com
- Travel Agency - www.sunshine.co.uk
- Travel blog - http://wearecunard.com
- UGC - www.tripadvisor.co.uk
- Video - www.yorkshire.com
Who are the Judges?
Entrusted with the difficult task of choosing the winners were a group of top travel industry gurus. Representing a wide spectrum of travel industry expertise, the judges included:
- Sarah Rathbone, associate director of Siren. She was also chosen for PR Week's '29 under 29' feature in 2008.
- Danny Crowe, Director of Elmscott Marketing, has nearly 30 years experience in marketing major brands.
- Gayle Gordon, from Alba Travel, caters to the holiday, flight, and cruise needs of the general public.
- Caroline Mastaros is the Category Development Manager for Travel at Microsoft Advertising. She works hard to deliver integrated marketing campaigns that achieve optimal results for clients.
- Jamie Galloway launched Bluepost Digital, the specialist search and performance marketing agency. Prior to this, he worked in the digital media sector for over a decade.
- Jason Hancock, Senior Director for Business Development at Travelport UK & Ireland, is responsible for launching the company's global networking and hotel review site geared towards travel professionals.
All-in-all, the event was deemed to be a big success. TravelMole managing director Graham McKenzie remarked, "We just couldn't believe the sheer numbers of nominations in each category - it just goes to show that this award ceremony is reflecting a growing sector of the travel industry that is just going from strength to strength."
At Essential Travel, we couldn't agree more. Our extended congratulations go out to our fellow award winners and the other TravelMole Web Award nominees.
Essential Travel Director, Stuart Bensusan, had this to say: "We're delighted to have won the prestigious Travel Mole Best Holiday Add-on Website award. Winning this award is testament to the great team we have here at Essential Travel and all the work we put into ensuring that our website offers the best possible products and services for our customers. We hope to keep up the good work!"
Feel free to refer to the TravelMole website to learn more about the prestigious 2010 Web Awards.