What happens if I need to make a claim? Where should I start and will it take long?
All claims require different paperwork. A medical claim will differ in process from a claim for stolen goods.
Within your policy wording, you should find a list of detailed instructions of what to do in the event of a claim.
The basic procedure goes like this:
1. Contact your travel insurance provider asap. Essential Travel's deadline is within 31 days of the incident in question, but don't leave it until the last minute!
2. When you make contact, have the following details written down. It is important that you have this information on hand, as we cannot process your claim:
- Name of your policy and where it was purchased
- Policy number
- Date the policy was purchased
- Resort and country visited, plus dates of travel
- Value of claim
- Brief circumstances
- Incident date
If it is a medical claim you are making, you need to list the exact dates you were treated, the hospital/ doctor's office you were treated at.
If it is a theft you are reporting, you will need to provide dates and details of the events leading up to the theft. Please include ALL police reports, as well as your case number.
For a claim on damaged goods, include the date of the incident. Also include date of purchase, receipts and any.
3. It's really important that you keep a a tight paper trail. If you are claiming for stolen goods and you filed a report with the police, makes copies and send one to us. If you've been sick, send us copies of all your prescriptions, examinations and medical bills.
To back this all up, get a professional (a doctor, police officer, lawyer) to write a formal letter detailing your situation. Without proper paperwork we cannot process your claim, so you need to be on top of things.
4. Be honest. You have to substantiate every aspect of your claim, so lying about it or exaggerating facts will only get the claim denied. If you honestly detail the order of events and back it up with proper paperwork, claiming on medical bills or personal belongings will not be any hassle.
Travel insurance is there to make you feel secure, just in case something goes wrong. The process of claiming goods can be a bit arduous and take some time, but these processes are set in place to make sure things run smoothly.
Last Updated: July 2010